Maldives's 5-star deluxe property Emerald Maldives has bagged the World Travel Award for Indian Ocean's Leading New Resort.
World Travel Awards publicised winners of the World Travel Awards 2020 Indian Ocean regional category yesterday.
Emerald Maldives was crowned Leading New Resort after competing against six other Maldivian properties; Baglioni Maldives, Faarufushi Maldives, InterContinental Maldives Maamunagau, JW Marriott Maldives, Varu by Atmosphere Maldives, and Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi.
Opened in late 2019, Emerald Maldives is located on the 20-hectare Fasmendhoo Island in Raa Atoll. The property has 60 villas on land and 60 water bungalows, featured modern yet elegant designs.
After briefly closing due to COVID-19 and the border closures, Emerald Maldives reopened last August. In September, Emerald Maldives also opened the Maldives' first Amazònico cuisine restaurant.
The resort is also competing for the World Travel Award for World's Leading New Resort. Results will be announced on November 27, 2020 at the World Travel Awards Grand Final Gala in Moscow, Russia.
Award History for Indian Ocean's Leading New Resort:
- 2011: Ayada Maldives
- 2012: Anantara Kihavah Villas, Maldives
- 2013: Coco Privé, Maldives
- 2014: Cheval Blanc Randheli, Maldives
- 2015: AVANI Seychelles Barbarons Resort & Spa
- 2016: aaaVeee Nature's Paradise, Maldives
- 2018: Four Seasons Resort Seychelles at Desroches Island
- 2019: The Westin Maldives Miriandhoo Resort