The guesthouse sector is an ever-important player in the tourism industry of Maldives.
The sector has seen a massive boom in recent years as local tourism became a major focus of the government of Maldives in developing tourism. As a result, Maldives now boasts some of the best guesthouses in the region with the likes of Riveries Diving Village and Kaani Hotels in Maafushi.
The local islands of Maafushi, Thoddoo, Mathiveri, Thinadhoo, as well as Hanimaadhoo, are some of the most notable names in the sector.
According to the Maldivian Ministry of Tourism, as of now, there are 600 operational guesthouses across the Maldives. The guesthouses currently in operation include:
- 06 guesthouses in 02 islands of Haa Alif atoll
- 02 guesthouses in 01 island of Haa Dhaal atoll
- 01 guesthouse in Shaviyani atoll
- 01 guesthouse in Noonu atoll
- 12 guesthouses in 05 islands of Baa atoll
- 138 guesthouses in 09 islands of Kaafu atoll
- 71 guesthouses in 07 islands of Alif Alif atoll
- 37 guesthouses in 08 islands of Alif Dhaal atoll
- 24 guesthouses in 04 islands of Vaavu atoll
- 01 guesthouse in Faafu atoll
- 01 guesthouse in Thaa atoll
- 02 guesthouses in 01 island of Laamu atoll
- 02 guesthouses in 02 islands of Gaaf Dhaal atoll
- 09 guesthouses in 01 island of Gnaviyani atoll
- 06 guesthouses in 03 islands of Seenu atoll
Maldives recorded over 76,000 tourist arrivals between January 1-26. The top markets are Russia and India. Other markets include Ukraine, Germany, United States, France, Kazakhstan, United Arab Emirates, and Romania.
Guesthouses in Maldives are often popular due to the local culture and lifestyle of the islands they based in showcasing a unique aspect of the nation to outsiders not commonly seen from any high-end resorts.